Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Michael Ainsworth London (c1869-1941)
1942 Obituary 
HENRY MICHAEL AINSWORTH LONDON was engaged in marine surveying from 1918 until his retirement in 1937. His early education was received at Morton's School, Sunderland, and Hele's School, Exeter, and in 1885 he commenced a six years' apprenticeship in the workshops of Messrs. H. Watson and Sons in Newcastle upon Tyne. He was then appointed third engineer on the S.S. Acme belonging to Messrs. Newman and Dale, of London. In the following year he obtained his Second-Class Board of Trade Certificate and served as third and second engineer in various steamships owned by Messrs. Harris and Dixon until 1895, when he received his First-Class Certificate and was promoted to be chief engineer.
He remained with Messrs. Harris and Dixon until 1918, the last vessel on which he served being S.S. Harewood, which was lost through enemy action; Mr. London was mentioned in the London Gazette of 7th August 1918 in connection with that occasion. He was assistant superintending engineer to Mr. H. M. Rogers, M.I.Mech.E., in Newcastle upon Tyne, from 1918 until 1921 when he became senior assistant to Messrs. Catto and Bennett, consulting engineers and marine surveyors, where his duties included the holding of surveys on damaged steamships and the supervision of repairs to hull, machinery, and boilers.
He was also responsible for the carrying out of extensive repairs to S.S. Courtfield at Rotterdam in 1919, after that vessel had been running throughout the war as horse transport for the British Admiralty. In 1923 he started to practice on his own account, whilst continuing to act for Mr. Rogers as his representative in the North, and was engaged, among other work, on superintending the construction and sea trials of marine steam engines, boilers, and internal combustion engines. From 1925 to 1937, he held an appointment with Messrs. John Morrison and Son, and with the Cliffside Shipping Company, Ltd., of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Mr. London, whose death occurred on 23rd May 1941, in his seventy-second year, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1921, and was transferred to Membership in 1925.