Henry Russell Shaw (1831-1887)
1887 Obituary 
He was educated at the Free Grammar School, Birmingham, in Germany, and lastly at the Ecole Centrale in Paris. He was articled to the late Mr. J. R. McClean, Past-President Inst. C.E., and was employed on the South Staffordshire and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Railways.
In 1855 he went to the Crimea as one of the engineers of the Army Works Corps, under the late Mr. W. T. Doyne, M.Inst.C.E. Subsequently he took great interest in the railway schemes of the River Plate ; he then became a merchant, bought an estate in Entre Rios, and remained for several years in the Argentine Republic.
In 1866 he returned to England, carried on a business in Birmingham, and became director of the Central Argentine Railway, the East Argentine Railway, the City of Buenos Ayres Tramways, the Buenos Ayres and Rosario Railway, the La Guaira and Caracas Railway, the Puerto Cabello and Valencia Railway and the Heberlein Brake Co.
Mr. Shaw took great interest in the question of narrow gauge railways for sparsely populated countries and for military purposes.
He was a great traveller, and had visited, outside the continent of Europe, Turkey, Egypt, Asia Minor, and Persia. In June, 1886, he returned ill from a journey round the world through India, China, Japan and the United States, and after much suffering died at Sydenham on the 2nd of July, 1887, and was buried at Lingfield, Surrey.
Mr. Russell Shaw was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 1st of May, 1866.