Henry Stothert and Co
Steam locomotive builders, of Bristol
1837 The company was founded as Henry Stothert and Co. Henry Stothert was the son of George Stothert, who had an ironmongery business in Bath. Henry set up his works in Bristol, in St. Philips to get work from the GWR making locomotive engines. The business started as a partnership between Henry Asprey Stothert, his brother John Stothert, Robert Bruce, and George Lauder. The site chosen was Cuckold's Pill, later renamed Avonside Wharf 
1840 An early order was for two broad gauge 7 ft 0¼ in (2140 mm) 2-2-2 Firefly class express passenger engines Arrow and Dart with 7 ft driving wheels delivered for the opening of the Great Western Railway from Bristol to Bath on August 31, 1840. This was soon followed by an order for eight smaller 2-2-2 Sun class engines with 6 ft drivers.
1840 Partnership change. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Henry Stothert, John Stothert, Robert Bruce, George Fuller, and George Lauder, in the trade or business of Engineers and Locomotive Engine Manufacturers, and Iron Founders, and carried on at Avon-street, in the parish of Saint Philip and Jacob, in the city of Bristol, under the firm of Henry Stothert and Company, has been this day dissolved and determined by mutual consent, so far as regards the said George Lauder, who retires therefrom...'
Sources of Information
- 'Bristol at Work' by John Penny, Breedon Books, 2005
- The London Gazette Publication date:10 November 1840 Issue:19912 Page:2496