Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,969 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Chain and anchor makers, of Dee Iron Works, Saltney, near Chester; and of Queen St, Liverpool.
1780 The business was originally established at Stourbridge.
1834 Advertisement: Address: East Side Salthouse Dock, Liverpool. Also Wood Brothers of Stourbridge. Makers of chain cables and small chains of every description; spades, scythes, anvils, vices, bellows, steel; hammers, pans, bowls, ladles; files, rasps, etc., made of the Mersey Steel Co's 'Best Cast Steel'; small castings, tin plates, small castings; Stourbridge fire bricks, ground clay, etc.
c.1847 The Saltney Works were established by Wood Brothers for making anchors and chains. There were branch works in Liverpool and Stourbridge, and the affiliated business of George Wood and Co at Limehouse.
1857 Steam boiler explosion at the works of Henry Wood & Co. Two killed (a father and son).
1857 'One of the anchors intended for the Great Eastern steamship is now lying upon the George's pier, at Liverpool. It weighs 6 tons 19 cwt. 2 qrs. and is formed upon Trotman's patent. The manufacturers are Messrs. Henry Wood and Co., of Liverpool.'
1871 Partnership dissolved. 'In consequence of the recent deaths of Messrs. Thomas and Henry Wood, partners of the firms of Wood Brothers, of Stourbridge, Chester, and Cardiff, Henry Wood and Co., Liverpool, and George Wood and Co., London, it is announced that the following arrangements have been made for carry on future the business of the late firms. The Liverpool and Chester businesses under the style of Henry Wood and Co.'
1899 Company incorporated.
1926 N. Hingley and Sons acquired a controlling interest in the company