Herbert Edward Mitchell
Herbert Edward Mitchell (c1867-1923), civil engineer in the Directorate of Works and Buildings of the Air Ministry.
1923 Obituary 
Mr Herbert E. Mitchell, who died suddenly of heart failure on July 23rd at 13, Victoria-street, Westminster, was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and of the Institution of Electrical Engineers. He had been engaged in the profession since 1888 when he became chief assistant to professor George Forbes, F.R.H, and was responsible for several electricity supply undertakings, and the equipment for power, light. and heating of various public institutions and factories in London and the provinces.
One of his chief undertakings while in private practice was the preparation of designs and specifications for the heating and ventilating of the New County Hall for London. Though not executed in its entirety. owing to changed conditions due to the war, the most original part of this work, the heating and ventilating of the Council Chamber, has, we believe, been carried out substantially in accordance with his design. The method o£ individual control of the air supply by members at their seats is a novel feature in such work, and seems likely to be widely adopted. [More].
1923 Obituary 
HERBERT EDWARD MITCHELL received his technical education at the City and Guilds Technical College, Finsbury, from 1883 to 1885.
He was subsequently engaged on electric lighting contracts for various firms until 1888.
From 1888 to 1898 he was chief assistant to Prof. George Forbes in connection with the latter's consulting work, including the scheme put into operation for the electrical transmission of power from the Niagara Falls, and he was one of Prof. Forbes's staff of engineers who in the winter 1897-8 spent some months in Egypt investigating the possibility of utilizing and transmitting electrical energy from the Nile cataracts.
After 1898 he was engaged on various electric lighting undertakings in London and the provinces, and while in private practice in later years he prepared the original scheme for the heating and ventilating of the new County Hall, Westminster.
During the last five years of his life he held an appointment as civil engineer in the Air Ministry, and in that capacity designed the heating and ventilating equipment of the Royal Air Force Depot at Halton, one of the largest works of the kind ever carried out. He also designed the electrical installations at various aerodromes for the Air Ministry.
He died on the 23rd July, 1923.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1888 and a Member in 1898.