Herbert and Sons
Herbert & Sons Ltd, 6 & 7 West Smithfield and Kings Cross
Thomas Herbert was a scale-maker, working from 1842 onwards in St George’s Street, Tower Hamlets.
In 1867 he acquired the business of Henry Wood (originally John Wood, who started trading in 1760), at 6 & 7 West Smithfield, and the firm became known as known as Thomas Herbert and Sons.
In addition to the Smithfield address, and the original premises at 47 St. George Street, there was also a factory at 319 Grays Inn Road. The Kings Cross refers to this part of the business, and appears mainly on weights from the late Victorian period.
In 1876, following the death of Thomas, the two sons (George and William) split the business, the former taking St. George St. and West Smithfield, the latter taking Grays Inn Rd.
From circa 1910 onwards the firm was known as Herbert and Sons Ltd.
The two halves of the company recombined in 1948.
The West Smithfield address continued to be used until 1968, when Herbert's moved to Haverhill in Suffolk.
Note that the firm did not make weights themselves, but put their name on weights that were sold with their scales.
Surviving example of their weighing equipment can be viewed at the Ironbridge Gorge Museums
Sources of Information
- Mosquito by C. Martin Sharp and Michael J. F. Bowyer. Published by Crecy Books in 1995. ISBN 0-947554-41-6