Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Hillman Motor Car Co Ltd of Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry was a manufacturer of cars and motorcycles.
1870 When the Franco-Prussian War halted French production, Coventry manufacture of velocipedes boomed.
1872 The partnership of Smith, Starley and Co with William Hillman was dissolved when Hillman left  11th December 1872. Starley continued to make the "Europa" sewing machine and the "Ariel", the first practical penny-farthing cycle.
1876 Patent. '3197. And to William Hillman, of the firm of Hillman & Herbert, Machinists, of Coventry, in the county of Warwick, for the invention "improvements in bicycles, and in machinery or apparatus for manufacturing bicycle and other wheels."'
1880 Hillman and Herbert became Hillman, Herbert and Cooper which became known as the world's largest manufacturer of cycles, with patent innovations swelling the sales revenues.
1881 Employing 160 persons.
1887 New company formed: Auto Machinery Co; this pioneered the mass production in Britain of ball and roller bearings, and the energetic Hillman established a variety of valuable patents.
1880s Formed the Sparkbrook Manufacturing Co
1891 Hillman, Herbert and Cooper was sold to the Premier Cycle Co, which employed 600 people and produced cycles at the rate of over 100 a day.
1905 Hillman's enthusiasm for motor races led him to build his own car, with the intention of winning the Isle of Man tourist trophy.
1922 Offered an 11hp car in 2- and 4-seat configuration, coupe or all-weather
1923 Advertised convertible car with patented adjustable rigid side screens that could also provide open touring conditions as required
1926 Advertised the Hillman 14 car with a choice of 4 body styles
1928 November. Formation of the Humber Combine by merging Hillman into that company. The 2 factories were on adjacent sites with some complementary facilities - Humber had good foundries but few stamping facilities whilst Hillman had no foundries but good stamping facilities. Head of the new concern was Lieut-Col. J. A. Cole (MD of Humber), Captain S. Wilkes (Joint MD of Hillman) and Captain J. Black (Joint MD of Hillman). Also on board were S. Brotherhood and Sir Henry McMahon. Rootes who had handled the export sales, provided the cash and owned 60% of the shares.  
1929 Became a private company.
1935 Introduced 21hp Hillman Hawk
1937 Advertised Hillman Minx Magnificent light car