Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,940 pages of information and 230,620 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
'Begun by the late Mr. Rendel and completed under the able management of Sir John Hawkshaw, is regarded by the whole nation, if not by every trading nation in the world, as an inestimable boon to the perpetually increasing fleet of merchant vessels which come from all countries to Liverpool.'
Up to the 1920s, the boats providing the Irish Mail service used the Admiralty Pier in the outer harbour. The North Wall and Greenore boats used the inner harbour, as did the Kingstown afternoon service when it was running.
1921 The London North-Western Railway, having gained a contract for the Irish mails, extended its lease of the harbour to 99 years and organised the dredging of the inner harbour.
By 1924 the deeper harbour was in use.