Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,148 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ian Scott Mackenzie (1880-1941)
1941 Obituary 
IAN SCOTT MACKENZIE was born in London in 1880 and died on the 18th January, 1941.
He received his general education at the Magdalen College School, and his technical education from 1897 to 1900 at the Central Technical College, South Kensington.
On completing his education he entered the Earl of Dudley's Round Oak Iron and Steel Works at Brierley Hill, Staffordshire, where he spent 3 years as an apprentice and improver in general engineering.
He then went out to India and from 1903 to 1918, with the exception of a period of service in His Majesty's Indian Army, was successively employed as an executive engineer in the Public Works Department of the Indian Government at Dacca, and Chief Assistant Engineer to the Madras Electric Supply Corporation, supervising the erection of power stations for public supply systems and also being responsible for all the engineering and maintenance work of the foundries, sugar factory, jute and rice mills, and brick and tile works of South India Industries, Ltd.
In 1918 he returned to England and for 3 years was a chief assistant engineer in the power department of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co., where much post-war development, including extensions of the company's system, was in progress.
He left the company in 1921 to take up the appointment of Chief Electrical Engineer to the Staveley Coal and Iron Co., Chesterfield, where he remained until 1935.
In addition to his work for that company, whose plant and distribution system is one of the largest private industrial electricity generating concerns in England, he acted as consulting engineer for several private electricity undertakings in North Derbyshire.
He joined The Institution in 1926 as a Member and took a very active interest in the Sheffield Sub-Centre, contributing regularly to the discussions. His address as Chairman, in 1931, on "Industrial Power Stations and the Grid," created a deep impression. He left the Chesterfield district in 1935 to take up consulting work in London in connection with fuel supplies for power stations and industrial concerns in the metropolitan area. He was a man of outstanding personality and charm, and his sudden passing was a great shock to a host of friends he had made in North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.