Institution of Automobile Engineers
1898 The company dates back to the foundation of the Cycle Engineers' Institute in Birmingham
1904 Became the Automobile and Cycle Engineers' Institute in Birmingham
1906 Became the Institution of Automobile Engineers and moved to London
1931 Began research and standardisation work in premises at Chiswick. Much of the work concerned cylinder wear, valve seat wear, the limiting of loads and temperatures on big end bearings, and the wear and frictional properties of brake linings. Much of the support came from makers of parts such as pistons, piston rings, ball bearings, etc., as well as vehicle manufacturers and operators of vehicle fleets.
1933 Research reports on cylinder wear and valve seat wear were of such importance as to warrant wider publication.
1934 Research laboratories at Chiswick. The research laboratories were attracting increasing support as indicated by the number of firms using the facilities which increased from 28 in 1931 to 200 in 1936 with a mixture of government and industry funding.
1936 New laboratory opened at Brentford to replace the Chiswick facility
1946 Became the Automotive Branch of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
See Presidents for a complete list of all presidents of the Institution.
See Honorary Secretaries for a complete list of all presidents of the Institution.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1933/06/23 and The Engineer 1933/06/30
- The Engineer 1934/03/09
- The Engineer 1936/05/22