Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,135 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ship Builders of South Shields
1863 James Purdy Rennoldson opened a slipway for small wooden craft in South Shields, near the Lawe.
1870s The yard began iron shipbuilding
Ald. J. M. Rennoldson, brother of Charles, was also a partner.
1890 The yard was reconstructed to build paddle and screw tugs which had been engined at the yard.
1899 A number of screw tugs were built for Australia.
1907 Hercules, a screw tug was built for the Suez Canal Company
1914 Directory: Listed as Ship Builders of the Slipway, Shadwell Street, South Shields
1915 George V, a screw tug, was built for service on the Tyne along with a number of other vessels, notably Protector a pilot-cutter.
1916 The yard had four berths, the longest was 230 feet in length.
1929 The yard failed financially.