Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 25 Union Street, Bristol.
J. S. Fry and Sons, Ltd was a chocolate company.
1777 Chocolate works moved from Newgate Street to Union Street, Bristol.
1787 Joseph Fry died. Firm was renamed Anna Fry and Son.
1803 Anna Fry died and Joseph Storrs Fry went into partnership with a Dr. Hunt. The business was renamed Fry and Hunt.
1822 Dr. Hunt retired, Joseph Storrs Fry took his sons on as partners and the firm was renamed J. S. Fry and Sons. The company became the largest commercial producer of chocolate in Britain.
1835 Joseph Storrs Fry died and his sons took full control of the company.
In 1847, the Fry's chocolate factory, located in Keynsham, near Bristol, moulded the first ever chocolate bar suitable for widespread consumption.
1851 Listed at 12 Union Street, Bristol as 'Fry, J. S. and sons, chocolate and cocoa manufacturers' 
1855 Exhibited chocolate and cocoa at the 1855 Paris Exhibition
1866 The firm began producing the Fry's Chocolate Cream bar
Over 220 products were introduced in the following decades, including production of the first chocolate Easter egg in UK in 1873.
But the company gradually lost its dominant share of the market to the more aggressively marketed products of the rival Quaker establishments of Rowntree and of Cadbury.
1885 The company registered a trademark for Fry's Pure Concentrated Soluble Cocoa.
1886 Joseph Storrs Fry (1826-1913) took over as head of the firm
1896 The company was registered on 1 January, to acquire the business of chocolate and cocoa manufacturers of the firm of the same name.  The firm became a registered private company. It was run by the Fry family, with Joseph Storrs Fry, grandson of the first Joseph Storrs Fry, as the chairman.
Near the start of World War I the company was the largest employer in Bristol.
1913 Joseph Storrs Fry (1826-1913), grandson of the first J. S. Fry, died
1914 Fry's Turkish Delight (or Fry's Turkish bar) introduced.
1916 Cadbury took over Fry's. Fry's had been the market leader for the whole of the 19th Century and dated back to 1756, when Joseph Fry set up business as an apothecary and maker and seller of chocolate.
1919 A new joint company was established, named British Cocoa and Chocolate Company to hold both Cadburys and Frys.
1923 The Fry's division was moved to Somerdale.
Introduced the Crunchie bar to the UK.
After 1981 the name Fry's was no longer in use at Somerdale, but the factory is still a major producer of Cadbury's products.
2008 Chocolate produced at the factory leaves there at the rate of 50,000 tonnes per year.