Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,968 pages of information and 233,607 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
J. Stone and Co, marine, railway and general engineers, of Deptford, London, SE14 and Ocean House, Cockspur Street, London, SW1. Telephone: New Cross 1202. Telegraphic Address: "Tostones, Nucros, London".
See Josiah Stone
1867 Partnership change. '... the Partnership heretofore subsisting between Josiah Stone, George Preston, and John Prestige, all of High-street, Deptford, in the county of Kent, Millwrights, Engineers, Brass and Iron Founders, Coppersmiths, Braziers, and Workers in Metals, has (so far as relates to the said Josiah Stone) been this day dissolved by mutual consent...'
1869 Patent. '3783. And George Preston and John Prestige, of the firm of J. Stone and Company, of Deptford, in the county of Kent, Engineers, have given the like notice in respect of the invention of "improvements in engine lubricators."'
1884 Partnership change. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Frederick Philip Preston, John Theodore Prestige the elder, and Edwin James Preston, as Millwrights, Engineers, Brass and Iron Founders, Coppersmiths, Braziers, and Workers in Metals, at Deptford, in the county of Kent, under the style or firm of Josiah Stone and Co., has been dissolved, by mutual consent, as from the 31st day of December, 1883; and that the business will henceforth be carried on at the same place, under the same style, by the said Frederick Philip Preston, and Edwin James Preston, and John Theodore Prestige the younger, Sydney Prestige, and Reuben Thomas Preston...'
1892 See a description of their works at The Engineer 1892/02/26.
1903 Introduced the Stone-Lloyd automatic bulkhead doors for ships
1904 The company was registered on 7 May as a private company, J Stone and Company Ltd, to acquire the business of J. Stone and Co, brass, copper and iron workers, and mechanical and general engineers, of Deptford.
1905 The family offered shares in the company to the public. The company had many thousands of customers including many navies, shipping companies, the principal British railway companies, shipbuilding companies, and locomotive and railway carriage builders. They were the sole manufacturers for the UK and Colonies of the Stone-Lloyd system of hydraulically operated watertight doors for ships.
1922 Directors: Sir Frederick Preston, K.B.E. (Chairman), Walter R. Preston, M.P., Sir John Prestige, S. E. Prestige, Henry W. Lee (General Manager) and J. Herbert Peters.
1926 M. C. L. and Repetition Ltd was set up by J. Stone and Co, Hart Accumulator Co and D. P. Battery Co to manufacture "repetition" parts (principally nuts and bolts) but also made magnetos on a small scale.
1927 Agreement with S.A.F.T. regarding alkaline batteries.
1929 Patent - Improvements in the electrolytic deposition of metal on metal tubes. 
1929 Chloride Electrical Storage Co acquired National Accumulator Co. Agreement with Chloride Electrical Storage Co relating to batteries for train lighting which prohibited Stones from making lead-acid and alkaline batteries and assigned to Chloride the agreement with S.A.F.T. regarding alkaline batteries; Chloride was to supply these to Stones.
1934 The Thames was home to specialists in propellors - J. Stone and Co at Deptford and Charlton made 4 of the largest propellors ever made for vessel #534 being constructed on the Clyde; Manganese Bronze and Brass Co made the other four.
1937 Patent - Improvements in and connected with copper alloys or bronzes. 
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Comprehensive range of P.I.V. Positive, Infinitely Variable Speed Gears, ratios 6-1 up to 15 hp. H-R Reduction Gears, ratios 8-1, up to 100,000-1. Combined applications of P.I.V. and H-R Gears. (Stand No. D.310) 
1937 Founders in non-ferrous alloys, engineers. "Ceralumium" High Tensile Aluminium Alloys. "Superston L189" Aluminium Bronze. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1950 Reconstruction of J. Stone and Co to be a holding company; formation of 2 subsidiaries to handle business: J. Stone and Co (Charlton) Ltd (railway air conditioning) and J. Stone and Co (Deptford) Ltd (marine propellors); the existing subsidiaries Stone-Wallwork Ltd and Stone Platt Engineering Co Ltd, which had complementary activities, would be merged into one, namely Stone-Wallwork, which would handle the mechanical engineering products; Stone-Platt would be liquidated. The existing 50 percent holdings in Light Metal Forgings Ltd (in partnership with Hughes-Johnson Stampings) and Stone-Fry Magnesium Ltd (in partnership with Fry's Diecastings) would be maintained.
1951 Private company (presumably this relates to a subsidiary rather than the main company which continued as a public company).
1958 Scheme of arrangement to effect a merger between Platt Brothers and Co (Holdings) and J. Stone and Co (Holdings); Stones became a wholly owned subsidiary of Platts; the company name was changed to Stone-Platt Industries .
1961 Railway, electrical and general engineers specialising in the manufacture of train lighting, air conditioning and refrigeration, speed indicators, automatic voltage regulators, semi-conductor power rectifiers, hydraulic power transmissions, pantographs, package type steam generators and non-ferrous nails and rivets.