Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Quay Street, Bristol (1857), Publishers and General Printers
1821 William Browne established the business.
1831 Partnership of Browne & Reid
1835 W. Browne continued the business
1836 Philp continued the business
1838 Partnership of Philp & Evans,
1840 H. C. Evans in charge of the business
1849 Partnership of Hugh Evans & Abbott
1854 Isaac Arrowsmith moved to Bristol, where he entered into partnership with Hugh Evans, stationer and bookseller, of Clare Street. Their first joint venture was a penny Time Table of Steam Packets and Railways, which appeared in July 1854.
1857 The partnership ended when Isaac Arrowsmith moved to 11 Quay Street - see J. Arrowsmith (of Bristol)
The business expanded, including a great deal of printing work for the Great Western Railway.
1871 Isaac died; the business passed to his son James Williams Arrowsmith who developed the publishing side of the business, with great success.
1877 Arrowsmiths became printers to Bristol University
Carried out printing work for a large number of Bristol establishments, including Clifton College, the Children's Hospital and Bristol Record Society.
Published many successful books, including "Called Back", "Hugh Conway", "Three Men in a Boat" (Jerome K. Jerome), "The Prisoner of Zenda " ("Anthony Hope") and "The Diary of a Nobody" (George Crossmith).
20th century: The publishing side of the business declined during the early years of the century, while the printing work continued to flourish.
1911 Incorporated as a private Limited Company.
1913 On the death of James Williams, his nephew, J.A. Arrowsmith-Brown, succeeded to the business.
1914 General publishing and printing. J. A. Arrowsmith-Brown, Chairman.
1937 on the death of the chairman, the business passed to his nephew, R. H. Brown.
1954 The business moved to a modern factory in Winterstoke Road, giving ample room for further expansion and the adoption of the most advanced techniques.