Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,135 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
J. and D. Morris of Pelaw Main were shipbuilders
In the 19th Century, J. and D. Morris were largely a ship repairing yard on the North-East coast of England. However, by 1914 it started shipbuilding and completed five standard "C1" coasters.
1922 The yard had three berths for building steel steam coasters, usually between 300-400 grt.
1923 The yard went into liquidation leaving a partially built ship called Greyfriars (the largest ship it had ever built) partly-framed. The vessel was completed by T. Mitchison. There was also a long boilermaker strike in the same year which heralded the demise of the yard.
1925 The yard was demolished.
British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss