Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,192 pages of information and 233,429 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Rio de Janeiro
1845 Business established by John William Miers and Francis Charles Miers for the construction of steam-engines and other machinery. A shipyard was afterwards added for the building of steamboats for coast and river service.
Contracts were carried out with the government for dredging and improving the river, then the only highway to the Estrella range of mountains and to Petropolis; for the erection of iron roofs over the building-slips and other structures in the Marine Arsenal; and for the construction of lighthouses at Rio Grande do Sui and on the Abrolhos reefs, as well as for many other important works.
1862 The Miers brothers retired from the business which was continued by the remaining partners, John Maylor, who directed the business in conjunction with Mr. A. G. de Mattos until his retirement in 1871.