Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,643 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Colquhoun Macfarlane (1877-1967) of the Macfarlane Engineering Co
1877 Born the son of James Wright Macfarlane
1898 Whitworth Scholarship. 'James C. Macfarlane, 21, draughtsman, Cathcart.
1900 'Mr James C. Macfarlane, draughtsman, Cathcart, has won a Royal Exhibition bursary of the value of £50, tenable for three years, with free education at the Royal College of Science, South Kensington, London. Mr James C. Macfarlane is a son of Mr James W. Macfarlane, engineer, Glasgow, and grandson of the late Mr Andrew Macfarlane, farmer, East Hatton, Cargill.'
1905 Married(1) at Semer, Cosford, to Mabel Alice Wright.
1908 Birth of son James Wright Macfarlane
1910 Listed at Waipori, Southborough Road, Chelmsford.
1911 Living at Waipori, Southborough Road, Chelmsford: James C. Macfarlane (age 34 born Glasgow), Electrical Engineer. With his wife Mabel A. Macfarlane (age 32 born Creeting St Mary, Suffolk) and their two sons James W. Macfarlane (age 2.5 born Chelmsford) and William W. Macfarlane (age 5 months born Chelmsford). Also his SIL Blanche L. Wright (age 26 born Creeting St Mary, Suffolk).
1923 Married(2) to Robina Crighton. 'At Grand Hotel, Glasgow, on 28th December, by Rev. Jas. Philip, Carnoustie, James C. Macfarlane, O.B.E., M.I.E.E., Braehead, Cathcart, son of Mr and Mrs J. W. Macfarlane, Carthbank, Cathcart, to Robina (Ruby), eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Robert Crichton, Ivydale, Burrelton, Coupar Angus.'
Mr. James Colquhoun Macfarlane, who died at his home in Glasgow on Friday, was honorary chairman of the MacFarlane Engineering Co Ltd., Cathcart, a firm which, together with his four brothers, he founded in 1911. Macfarlane was educated at Allan Glens School and the Royal Technical College. Glasgow, gaining a Whitworth Exhibition in 1898 and a Whitworth Scholarship in 1901, a most unusual distinction. His apprenticeship was served with Messrs. G. and J. Weir of Cathcart, later becoming assistant works manager there.
In 1905 he joined Messrs. Crompton & Co. (now Crompton Parkinson) as manager and engineer at Chelmsford and there co-operated with the late Colonel R. E. Crompton and Marconi in numerous technical developments. During the First World War he managed the National Projectile Factory at Cardonald and Beardmores Gun Factories at Parkhead, returning to Cathcart in 1919 as managing director. He was awarded the O.B.E. for his war-time services.
Macfarlane was author and joint author of many papers read before the Institute of Electrical Engineers and other learned bodies and was patentee or co-patentee of about 100 patents and was active in the business of his firm until three years ago. He was born in Glasgow in 1877 and leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter.