James Edward Barnard (1878-1935)
1935 Obituary 
JAMES EDWARD BARNARD was for more than twenty years a member of the staff of Portsmouth Municipal College. He was appointed instructor in charge of the machinery and heating and ventilating plant in 1909 and became senior instructor in the college workshops in 1919.
He was born in Portsmouth in 1878 and served a six years' apprenticeship, commencing in 1894, in H.M. Dockyard. From 1904 to 1907 he was employed in the Gun Mounting Drawing Office, and was associated with the first introduction into the Navy of the Belleville boiler, and accompanied the first warship so fitted on the experimental trip to Gibraltar. He then carried out tests on destroyers at Messrs. John Brown's Clyde Bank works, and took part in the trials of the first sets of turbines built for the Navy by Messrs. Parsons. Subsequently he took charge of repair work on battleships, until his appointment to Portsmouth Municipal College.
During the war Mr. Barnard was engaged as instructor in the training establishment attached to the College for workers in munition factories; he also became a foreman at Hampshire Munitions, Ltd., and supervised the manufacture of shells and aerial torpedoes.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1923.
His death occurred on 4th August 1935.