Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Gascoigne Lynde (1816-1883), M. Inst. C.E., Engineer to the Corporation of Manchester.
1833 James Gascoigne Lynde of 30 Great George Street, became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1848 Partnership dissolved. '...us the undersigned, James Simpson and James Gascoigne Lynde the younger, as Civil Engineers, at Great George-street, Westminster in the county of Middlesex, expired on the 25th day of March instant...'
1854 of 37 Great George Street, Westminster
1883 Obituary 
JAMES GASCOIGNE LYNDE was born in London on the 25th of January, 1816. He was articled to the late Mr. James Simpson, Past-President Inst. C.E., and served his pupilage in the office of the Chelsea Waterworks Co at Thames Bank, of which Company his father was at that time the Secretary. Here he assisted in making the drawings for the new filters and works which lasted till the establishment was removed to Ditton.
In the early part of 1839 he obtained employment on the Hull and Selby railway under the late James Walker, Past-President Inst. C.E., where he remained until 1841. In that year the engineering profession was rapidly expanding, owing to the rise and progress of the railway system, and then Mr. Simpson took Mr. Lynde into partnership. The firm not only had under their charge the Chelsea and Lambeth Waterworks, but carried out new works at various large towns. For instance, alterations and improvements were made at Manchester for the Company then supplying water, and a well was sunk into the New Red Sandstone.
At Liverpool, owing to the deficiency of water for fire purposes, a Commission was formed to obtain a special supply, and works were constructed with a well, reservoirs, &c. At Hartlepool the West Harbour and Dock project was carried out.
At Carlisle and at Bristol works were executed for the supply of water. During the partnership other works were constructed, including the Southend Pier in 1842-45, the Whittle Dean waterworks for the supply of Newcastle-on-Tyne and the York Waterworks in 1844-45, and similar works at Newport, Cardiff, and Gravesend in 1846.
In the spring of 1848 the partnership was dissolved, and then Mr. Lynde commenced to practice on his own account, which he did until appointed in 1857 City Surveyor to the Manchester Corporation, which position he occupied for a period of twenty-one years. Amongst the more notable undertakings carried out under his supervision may be mentioned the Prestwich reservoir, for the supply of the higher portions of the district, and the 30-inch main from Godley reservoir to Prestwich; the improvement of the River Medlock, the construction of the Smedley Viaduct, the Waterloo Bridge and the Princes’ Bridge over the river Irwell, the widening of Deansgate, the construction of the Corporation Gasworks at Bradford Road, the Alexandra Park and Southern Cemetery, and Philip’s Park and Cemetery.
As one of his sons was professionally engaged in Manchester with projects in which the Corporation was interested, Mr. Lynde retired from his position as Surveyor to the Corporation on the 4th of December, 1878, when the following resolution was unanimously passed by the Council:- 'That this Council, whilst accepting the resignation of their City Surveyor, Mr. James Gascoigne Lynde, recognise and appreciate the honourable motives which have induced him to take the step, and avail themselves of the occasion to record their sense of the ability, integrity, and zeal with which he has served the Corporation for a period of twenty-one years, and their best wishes for his future prosperity.”
From December 1878 until the time of his death, he practised in Manchester in partnership with his son, Mr. James Henry Lynde, M. Inst. C.E., the firm being principally engaged in arbitrations, Government inquiries, and legal questions. He took an active part in the affairs of the various local societies, and deeply interested himself in promoting the annual gatherings of the members of the Institution resident in Lancashire and the neighbourhood, for social and festive purposes, which it was hoped might lead to the establishment of a subsidiary or local association, after the fashion of the German Bezirksvereine.
Mr. Lynde was connected with the Institution for more than half a century, having been elected an Associate on the 29th of January, 1833. He was transferred to the class of Graduates on the 9th of January, 1838, and to that of Member on the 20th of February, 1844. He died on the 15th of March, 1883.
1884 Obituary 
JAMES GASCOIGNE LYNDE was born in London on 25th January 1816, and served his pupilage under the late Mr. James Simpson in the office of the Chelsea Water Works, of whirls his father was then secretary.
In 1839 he was employed on the Hull and Selby Railway under Mr. James Walker, and remained there until 1841, when he was taken into partnership by Mr. Simpson, with whom he had charge of the Chelsea and Lambeth Water Works, and carried out new water works and other engineering projects in various large towns.
In 1848 he commenced practice on his own account; and in 1857 he was appointed city surveyor at Manchester, which position he retained for twenty-one years. During that period he carried out the construction of the Prestwich reservoir for supplying the higher portions of the district, and the laying of a 30-inch main from Godley reservoir to Prestwich; improvements of the river Medlock; the construction of the Smedley viaduct, the Waterloo and Princes' bridges over the river Irwell, the gas works at Bradford Road, the Alexandra park and southern cemetery, the Philip's park and cemetery, and the widening of Deansgate.
At the end of 1878 he retired, in order to enter into partnership with his son, with whom he practised as consulting engineer in Manchester up to the time of his death on 15th March 1883, at the age of sixty-seven.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1854.