Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,112 pages of information and 233,645 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Gregson Chapman (1832-1902), Civil Engineer of Fawcett, Preston and Co
1832 Born in Liverpool the eldest son to James Chapman Commander R.N.
1872 Became a partner in Fawcett, Preston and Co with his brother Alfred Chapman
1901 Living at Elm Park Gardens, Chelsea: James G. Chapman (age 68 born Liverpool), Civil Engineer. With his wife Margaret Chapman (age 45 born Mayfair, London). Also a visitor Alfred Chapman (age 62 born Preston), born Preston. Four servants.
Died 1902 aged 71.
1902 Obituary 
JAMES GREGSON CHAPMAN was born in Liverpool on 1st June 1832.
In 1848 he commenced an apprenticeship under Mr. Thomas Hunt at the locomotive shops of the London and North Western Railway, at Preston, after which, in 1850, he went to Mr. Joseph Clayton's Soho Foundry, Preston, for one year; and finally from 1851 to 1855 he completed his term in the works of Messrs. Fawcett, Preston and Co., of Liverpool. He was then employed by them as draughtsman, and subsequently represented them abroad.
In 1859 he established himself as a consulting engineer, and in conjunction with Messrs. Fawcett, Preston and Co., and other firms, he designed and erected sugar factories, sugar machinery, iron warehouses, narrow-gauge railways, bridges, marine engines and boilers in the English and Spanish West Indies, in Spain, Egypt, Java, Peru, Mexico, Central America, Buenos Aires, Brazil, and other countries.
Since 1872 he had been a partner in the firm of Messrs. Fawcett, Preston and Co., during which time he had been constantly engaged in the designing and manufacturing of sugar machinery, marine engines and boilers, hydraulic presses and other machinery.
On the conversion of the firm into a company in 1888, he joined the board of directors, and remained a director until his death, which took place at his residence in London, on 20th October 1902, in his seventy-first year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1878.