Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Henry Harwood (1868-1945)
1946 Obituary 
JAMES HENRY HARWOOD, was born in 1868 and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Oswald, Mordaunt and Company, shipbuilders, Southampton, from 1885 to 1890, and concurrently attended classes at the Hartley Technical Institute. He then filled the position of draughtsman with various firms, including Messrs. Maudslay, Sons and Field, Ltd., of Lambeth, with whom he remained for eight years.
In 1901 he was engaged as assistant manager by Messrs. Masson, Scott and Company, engineers and millwrights, and five years later he joined Messrs. Ledward and Beckett, engineers, Westminster, in a similar capacity. After holding the appointment of joint managing director with Messrs. W. H. de Ritter and Company, he was attached to the Ministry of Munitions, and for six years served as a Deputy Assistant Controller in the Central Stores Department.
His special knowledge of fire-fighting appliances led to his appointment as technical assistant at Wembley, where he was closely concerned with the provision of gas and water supplies, as well as the protection of the buildings and exhibits from fire. After a period of three years in the Westminster office of Messrs. Mather and Platt, Ltd., he became associated in 1928 with the Independent Sprinklers Company, Ltd., of Kingsway, with whom he continued until his retirement some ten years later.
Mr. Harwood, whose death occurred at Edgware, Middlesex, on 24th April 1945, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1923. He had previously been an Associate Member from 1899 to 1904.