Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,402 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Joicey, 1st Baron Joicey (4 April 1846 – 21 November 1936) was a coal mining magnate from Durham and a British Liberal Party politician.
He was elected as Member of Parliament for Chester-le-Street at the 1885 general election, and held the seat until the 1906 election. He was created a Baronet of Longhirst and of Ulgham, both in the County of Morthumberland, on 3 July 1893 and then elevated to the peerage as Baron Joicey, of Chester-le-Street in the County of Durham, on 13 January 1906.
He was Chairman of the family mining company James Joicey and Co, (founded by his uncle James Joicey in about 1831 and incorporated in 1886), which operated several collieries in the West Durham coalfield including pits at Beamish and Tanfield.
In 1924, that company merged with Lambton and Hetton Collieries to form Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries.
From 1887 his seat was Longhirst Hall near Morpeth, Northumberland. In 1906 he bought the Ford Castle estate, Ford, Northumberland and in 1908 the Etal Castle estate, Etal, Northumberland, both of which remain in the ownership of the Joicey family.
He was succeeded by his son James. The current James Joicey is the 5th Baron of Chester-le-Street, and the Heir Apparent is his son, The Hon, William James Joicey (b. 1990)