Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of John and James Thomson, Finnieston Engine Works, 36 Finnieston Street, Glasgow.
1843 Born in Glasgow the son of James Thomson
1851 Living at 13 Kelvingrove Place James Thomson 49, an Engineer employing 200 Men. With wife Grace (age 40) and children Agnes Thomson (age 15), Jane Thomson (age 14), Grace Thomson (age 12), John Thomson (age 11), James Thomson (age 7), Mary Thomson (age 5), Jessie Thomson (age 2) plus two servants. 
1861 James Thomson 57, Engineer and Iron Ship builder, Employing 86 Men And 64 Apprentices, lived in Glasgow Barony with G Thomson 50, G M Thomson 22, John Thomson 21, engineer, James Thomson 17, draughtsman, Mary Thomson 15, Jessie Thomson 12
1871 Living in Glasgow, Barony: Grace Thomson 60, Grace M Thomson 32, John Thomson 31, marine engineer, James Thomson 27, marine engineer, Jessie Thomson 22 Married Mary G.
1874 Married Mary Glen Kerr in Anderston
1875 Joined I Mech E
1881 Master Engineer, partner in John and James Thomson, employing 600 Men, living in Kelvin, with his wife Mary G Thomson and 3 children, Adelaide O Thomson 5, Edward J Thomson 2, James Thomson 5 Months
1891 Marine engine builder, living in Kelvinside, Govan with 3 children, Adelaide, Edward and James
1891 Marine engine maker, in Lochgoilhead, Argyll, in the house of his brother in law, Joseph McIntyre Taylor, with his 3 children Adelaide, Edward and James
1903 Obituary 
JAMES MACINTYRE THOMSON was born in Glasgow on 5th December 1843.
He commenced his apprenticeship in 1861 at the Clyde Bank Foundry of his father and uncle, Messrs. James and George Thomson.
In 1864, when in the midst of his apprenticeship, the partnership was dissolved, his uncle, Mr. G. Thomson, acquiring the business.
He then entered the drawing office of Messrs. Caird at Greenock.
In 1868 his father bought some ground at Finnieston Street, Glasgow, and started him in business in conjunction with his elder brother John, as the Finnieston Engine Works, and the title of the firm as John and James Thomson. The business progressed well, so that in 1882 the works were found too small for both engineering and boiler-making, and a large place was added for boiler-making at Kelvinhaugh.
In 1891 the brothers resolved to retire from business, and let both the works in 1893 to Messrs. Barclay, Curie and Co., who had sold their own works to the Tunnel Co. (subway under the Clyde). Messrs. Barclay, Curle and Co. still continue as tenants in the two works referred to.
In 1891 he entered the Town Council of Glasgow as one of the representatives of the Kelvinside Ward, and served as a magistrate for the usual period. He was also a member of the Clyde Trust, and convener of a section of the Sewage Committee.
His death took place suddenly at his country residence, Montgomerie, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, on 4th February 1903, at the age of fifty-nine. He became a Member of this Institution in 1875.