Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Paterson Davie (1863-1945)
1946 Obituary 
JAMES PATERSON DAVIE who was born at Kilmarnock in 1863, received his practical training with Messrs. Tannock and Richmond, Ltd., engineers and millwrights, Glasgow, from 1878 to 1882. After a brief period as draughtsman to Messrs. Barr, Morrison and Company, of Kilmarnock, he acted as assistant manager for Messrs. R. Davie and Son, from 1885 to 1888.
A year later he joined Messrs. Mirrlees, Tait and Watson, Ltd. (now The Mirrlees Watson Company), engineers, of Glasgow, and began a connection which lasted for fully half a century. During this long period he was responsible, as superintendent engineer and chief erector, for the erection on the Continent and in many parts of the Empire of much heavy sugar machinery, large-capacity water-distilling equipment and power station plant. In recognition of his services in connection with the erection of special distilling plant for the Uganda Railway, and as a mark of the Government's appreciation, he was presented with an illuminated address.
Subsequently he was appointed chief supervising engineer and was in control of the erection of the firm's products throughout Great Britain. During the 1939-45 war, Mr. Davie, although well advanced in years, assisted the works engineer at the Hazel Grove, Stockport, works of the allied firm of Messrs. Mirrlees, Bickerton and Day, Ltd., continuing in this occupation until shortly before his death, which occurred on 9th August 1945.
He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1903.