Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,955 pages of information and 230,152 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Simpson and Co, specialist in pumps, of 101 Grosvenor Road, Pimlico, London.
1790 the business was established by James Simpson as an engineering and shipbuilding company at the Isle of Dogs, London. On his death, the business passed into the hands of his eldest son, Mr. Joseph Simpson, who was succeeded by his younger brother, Mr. James Simpson
1838/9 The business was moved to larger premises in Belgrave Road.
1857 James Simpson, Junior joined the firm of Simpson and Company, manufacturing engineers, improving pumping-plants, especially the Woolf Compound pumping engines, and in the construction of water-works abroad.
By 1860 J. Simpson and Co. had moved to a new factory by the Thames at 101 Grosvenor Road, Pimlico.
1862 The partnership of James Simpson, William Simpson and James Simpson, Junior carrying on business as manufacturing engineers as Simpson and Co and William Simpson and Co at Grosvenor Rd, Pimlico, and Cubitt Town, Poplar, was dissolved. James Simpson would carry on the business.
1866 Simpson and Co built a steam railway locomotive for the Southampton Dock Company.
1866 Two Rotative Beam Engines for Tunbridge Wells Waterworks (Pembury Station).
1870 Two beam pumping engines for Berliner Wasserbetriebe (Berlin Waterworks). Cylinders 40" and 60" diameter.
1871 Vertical Rotative Engine for Weston-super-Mare Waterworks.
1884 Simpson and Co, engineers; James Simpson civil engineer; 101 Grosvenor Rd, London SW..
1887 Hollingworth (Turkey Mill) correspondence with James Simpson & Co., Grosvenor Road, Pimlico for machinery.
1888 Stoney's Hydraulic Sluice valve Lifting gear. 
1889 Worthington pumping engine for Bournemouth Waterworks. 
1890 Direct-Acting Pump for the Metropolitan Water Board (Hammersmith Station).
1892 James Simpson and Co incorporated as a public company. The company was registered on 11 July, to acquire the business of machine and engineering tool makers of a company of similar title. 
1899 James Simpson and Co's existing works (the Engine Works at Grosvenor Road, Pimlico) had become too small so new works were constructed at Lowfield, Balderton, Newark.
1900 Vertical single cylinder steam pumping engines for Broadmeed Well, Ware, Herts. 
1901 Engine for Metropolitan Water Board (Hammersmith Station).
1903 The Simpson and Worthington companies merged as Worthington Pump Co.
1906 Contract between York Waterworks and James Simpson and Co. Ltd (London) for the manufacture and supply of a Worthington Horizontal Triple Expansion Surface Condensing Pumping Engine.
1910 Registered office: 153 Queen Victoria St, London; works: Newark.