Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,388 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Stabler (1825-1906)
of 13 Effra Road, Brixton, London, S.W.
1906 Obituary 
JAMES STABLER was born at Barnard Castle on 5th September 1825.
He was educated at Staindrop, and, having at an early ago developed an inclination for mechanical pursuits, he was apprenticed to the Stockton and Darlington Railway Co. at their Shildon Works.
On the completion of his apprenticeship, he went to Scotland and was engaged on the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee Railway until 1851 when he obtained employment at Messrs. R. and J. Longridge's Works at Bedlington, Northumberland.
In 1855 he was appointed foreman of the fire-engine works of Messrs. Shand, Mason and Co., where he remained until 1860.
After an interval of two years, during which he was manager to Messrs. Morton and Co., Liverpool, he returned to Messrs. Shand, Mason and Co., and became a partner in the firm. On their behalf he travelled extensively in the principal countries of Europe and in the United States and Canada, until 1879 when he retired.
In 1882 he started in business on his own account as a consulting engineer, principally to Messrs. F. Braby and Co., of London, Glasgow, Liverpool, Bristol and Dunkirk, and to the London Zinc Mills Co.
He also acted for many years as London agent for Messrs. Daniel Adamson and Co., of Dukinfield, Manchester.
In 1887 he invented an improved railway crossing, and in 1903 brought out some improvements connected with steam-boilers.
His death took place in London on 5th March 1906, in his eighty-first year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1869; and was also a Member of the London Association of Foremen Engineers.