Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James William Speight (c1876-1930) of Quin and Speight
1930 Obituary 
JAMES WILLIAM SPEIGHT died at Ormskirk on the 26th May, 1930, in his 65th year.
In 1889 he joined the Bradford Corporation Electricity Department, remaining on the staff until 1896, when he was appointed outside superintendent in the Blackpool Corporation Electricity Department, later becoming deputy borough electrical and tramway engineer.
In 1902 he entered into partnership as a consulting electrical engineer with Mr. Quin in London, and during a period of four years he laid down electric tramway systems at Dundee, Broughty Ferry, and Shipley (Yorks). He also supervised the erection of the electricity works at West Bromwich and was concerned with the Ilkley and Great Harwood undertakings.
From 1906 to 1914 he lived at St. Annes, being largely responsible during that period for the Bispham-Norbreck electricity scheme for the Bispham Urban District Council. He was managing director and consulting engineer to the Penrith Electric Supply Co. from its formation in 1908 until his death, and held similar positions with the Ormskirk undertaking from 1912 until his retirement from the company in 1929, when the Lancashire Electric Power Co. purchased a controlling interest in its shares.
He joined the Institution as an Associate in 1896 and became a Member in 1898.