Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Bowes Esq. and Partners of Marley Hill Colliery
1839 The Marley Hill Coal Co. was formed by John Bowes, his mother and her husband William Hutt, and Nicholas Wood to exploit the coals on the Gibside estate. They secured excellent coking coals at Marley Hill, but the concern languished as none of the partners was willing to dedicate himself to it.
By 1846 Palmer was managing partner of this business and the Marley Hill Coking Co. He rapidly increased outputs and found sales in Britain and France.
1847 The company was renamed as John Bowes Esq. and Partners
By the 1850s, owned 14 collieries producing about 1 million tons of coal each year.
1854 One locomotive built and named Daniel O'Rourke
1860 Lady Strathmore (wife of William Hutt) died, leaving her husband the interest in collieries
Presumably succeeded by John Bowes and Partners