John Charles Melliss
John Charles Melliss (1835-1910)
1911 Obituary 
JOHN CHARLES MELLISS, born at St. Helena on the 23rd January, 1835, died at Hampstead on the 23rd August, 1910.
After completing his education at King’s College, London, he succeeded his father, the late Captain W. J. Melliss, as Commissioner and Surveyor and Engineer of St. Helena.
In 1871 he took up consulting practice in England, and subsequently was concerned with the late Mr. James Mansergh , Past-President, in schemes and inquiries in connection with the drainage of the Lower Thames Valley. He also carried out sewage works at Coventry and Leyton, the joint sewerage of Richmond, Mortlake, Petershnm and Kew, and similar works for various other places in the Thames Valley, as well as waterworks for Cromer, Goole, North Walsham and other places.
Mr. Melliss was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 5th May, 1874, and Was transferred to the class of Members on the 17th November, 1891.