Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,098 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Curtis and Son of Bond Street, Leeds; (1852) York Road, Leeds (1925).
Curtis Furniture History (John Wilfred)
1852 – John Curtis & Son Ltd established. John William Curtis, a cabinetmaker, established a shop fitting business in Bond Street, Leeds. Due to his strong work ethic and excellent craftsmanship, the company prospered in the booming economy of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
John William was succeeded by his son of the same name – and in 1894 the company moved to larger premises on the corner of Wade Street and Wade Lane, Leeds. Here the shop fitting business was further developed to include architectural woodwork. During this period the son of John Curtis II, John Wilfred, joined the business.
1925 – Curtis moved to York Road
In 1925, the company moved premises to York Road, Leeds – where it stayed until 2013.
Following the death of John Curtis II, Mr Edward Skirrow took over as Managing Director. A few years later Mr John Curtis III, son of Wilfred Curtis and great grandson of the founder joined him.
In April 1998, the company was re-launched as Curtis Shopfitters Ltd – with an initial manpower of 12 staff.
It was renamed Curtis Furniture Ltd (http://www.curtisfurniture.co.uk/) in 2004.
In May 2013, Curtis moved to larger premises in South Leeds – to increase capacity and meet increasing market demand. Since then they have set up a doors department, invested heavily in new equipment and increased their workforce.