Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,120 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Davis (1834-1902)
1834 Born in Rainford, son of John Griffin Davis
1861 John Davies 27, civil and mechanical engineer, lived in Peckham with Elizabeth Davies 55, Martha Lyon 49, William G Davies 20, Richard Davies 18, Robert Davies 16, Elizabeth Davies 12, Mary E Davies 9
1878 carrying on business at Tilford, near Farnham, engineer, admitted as Freeman of the City of London
1881 John Davis 45, Captain In Militia, Fellow Of Soc Of Antiquaries, lived in London with Elizabeth Davis 46
1891 John Davis 56, Captain In Militia, partner in Mechanical engineering business, lived in Hartley Wintney with Elizabeth Davis 54
1902 Died in Tilford
1902 Obituary 
JOHN DAVIS, Honorary Colonel of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion of the Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment, and an Aide-de-camp to the King, died on the 7th July, 1902, from pneumonia at Till Hill, Tilford, Farnham, the residence of his relative, Mrs. Hawkes, widow of the late General H. P. Hawkes, C.B.
The eldest son of Mr. John Griffin Davis, of Clapham, he was born at Rainford, Lancashire, in 1834, and, after serving an apprenticeship at the works of the London and North Western Railway Company at Crewe, was engaged for some years in the office of the late Colonel John Pitt Kennedy, R.E., Consulting Engineer to the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway Company, and was subsequently for many years senior partner in the firm of Dewrance and Co., London.
In 1863 he married the daughter of Mr. Samuel Curtis and widow of Mr. John Dewrance.
Colonel Davis was Provincial Grand Master of Surrey Freemasons, was interested in archaeology, and was the author of histories of the Begular and Militia Battalions of the Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment. He was appointed an A.D.C. by Queen Victoria.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 14th April, 1863, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.