John G. Stein and Co
of Bonnybridge, Sterlingshire, Scotland. Telephone: Banknock 55/56/57. Telegraphic Address: "Banknock, Bonnybridge". (1937)
1887 John G. Stein leased the fireclay at Milnquarter, Bonnybridge from Zetland Estates, and opened Milnquarter Fireclay Mine.
1891 He went into partnership with Malcolm Cockburn and opened Milnquarter Brickworks, Bonnybridge.
1896 Stein became sole partner.
1890s Anchor Works opened.
1899 Castlecary Works opened.
1905 The company was incorporated as John G. Stein and Co.
1920s Manuel Works, near Whitecross was opened.
In 1931 the Anchor Works were closed.
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for all types of Refractories for use in Industrial Furnaces, Iron and Steel Furnaces, Boilers, Gas Retorts, Glass Furnaces, Cement Kilns, Coke Ovens, Oil-Refining Plants, Non-Ferrous Furnaces, Pottery Kilns, Chemical Works; Fire Bricks; Silica Bricks; Cements; Patching Mixtures. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.403)
1968 Films of Scotland and John G. Stein and Co Ltd - 21.30 min sponsored, promotional documentary. The story of John G. Stein and Co, manufacturer of industrial refractories. Explores the processes of manufacture, sources of materials and scientific examination of the finished brick.
1960s In the late 1960s, Milnquarter was also closed.
1971 By October, the mine had ceased working.