Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Henry Shaw (c1881-1948)
JOHN HENRY SHAW died on the 24th July, 1948, at the age of 67. He received his technical education at the South Western Polytechnic and was apprenticed to Young and Co. On the completion of his apprenticeship he entered the service of Lacy and Sillar, with whom he was engaged for a period of about four and a half years, assisting in the design and construction of a number of electric lighting and tramway undertakings. In 1903 he joined the British Westinghouse Electrical and Manufacturing Co. as a draughtsman, and after being with that company for somewhat less than a year, secured an appointment as Engineering Clerk of Works in the Electricity Department of the Metropolitan Borough of Fulham, where he assisted in the design and supervision of extensions to the Fulham generating station. He vacated this post in 1907 to become Chief Draughtsman in the Electricity Department of the Bradford Corporation, was appointed Assistant Electrical Engineer in 1910, and in 1912 was made Deputy City Electrical Engineer, which office he occupied for a period of over seven years. While at Bradford he assisted in carrying out several schemes of extension to the power station, including the first installation there of three-phase alternating-current generating plant. In 1919 he terminated his services with the Bradford Corporation to take up agencies in London for several North Country engineering concerns, for which he continued to act until his retirement from business through ill-health a few years ago.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1911, and was elected a Member in 1919. He served on the Committee of the North Midland Centre 1918-21. He was awarded a Premium for his paper on "The Use of High-Pressure and High-Temperature Steam in Large Power Stations," which he read before The Institution in 1918.