Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Holloway (1870-1940)
1940 Obituary 
JOHN HOLLOWAY was elected an Associate Member in and was transferred to Membership of the Institution in 1925. Born at Smethwick, Birmingham, in December 1870. he was educated at St. Matthew's School and received his technical education in Birmingham and at Cowes Evening Institute and Engineering School during 1888-93.
He was apprenticed to Messrs. Tangye Brothers, Birmingham, from 1885 to 1888, and to Messrs. Belliss and Morcom, Birmingham, from 1889 to 1891. In 1890 he was engaged on experimental work on guns with Sir Hiram Maxim, and subsequently held appointments with various firms, notably Messrs. J. Samuel White and Company, Ltd., Cowes, as chief of the Premium and Rate-Fixing Department and was concerned with the erection of high-speed reciprocating engines and turbine machinery tram 1904 to 1907.
In March 1907 he was appointed works manner of the high-speed engine and turbine department of Messrs. James Howden and Company, Ltd., Glasgow. He held this position until 1913 when he went to the North British Diesel Engine Works, Ltd., in the same city, remaining with that firm until 1925, during which time he was responsible for the construction, running and acceptance tests of engines built by the firm. He was also responsible for the construction of the first 15,000 kW. turbine, supplied to the Manchester Corporation in 1913, the turbine being fitted with Howden's and Holloway's patent blades and blade-locking device.
In 1925 he came to London and started his own business as a consultant; in this capacity he was responsible for works layout, selection of plant, and works organization for various firms, including Messrs. Hunter-Penrose, Ltd., of London and Wellingborough, and Messrs., Broom and Wade, Ltd., of High Wycombe. He died at his home in Burnham, Bucks, on 11th February 1940.