John J. Griffin and Sons
John Joseph Griffin and Co, makers of Physical and Chemical Apparatus,
of Baker Street, London
of Kemble Street, Kingsway, London, WC2
c.1834 Mr Griffin invented the glass beaker
1848 First catalogue issued of scientific instruments
1851 Exhibited at 1851 Great Exhibition: John J. Griffin and Co, of Baker Street, London
Early 1870s John's sons, Charles Griffin FSA (1838–1900) and William Griffin (1839–1883), ran the business which assumed the style J. J. Griffin and Sons.
1877 John Griffin died on 9 June at Haverstock Hill, London.
1889 Under the direction of William's son John Ross Griffin (1863–1921), the business was incorporated as a limited liability company.
1910 Exhibited hygroscopic battery at the Physical Society's Exhibition
1921 Family connections ended with John Ross's death, although some shareholding had passed into the family of Thomas McKinnon Wood MP, a close relative of the Griffin family, who, from about 1908, was director and later chairman
From about 1919 to 1957 the business was in the hands of Wood's three sons.
1925 Merged with the Scottish firm of Baird and Tatlock Ltd
1926 Baird and Tatlock Ltd in association with J. J. Griffin and Sons. Ltd., Great Ducie Street, Manchester exhibited scientific apparatus such as calorimeters, oil testing apparatus, gas analysis apparatus, and electric pyrometers
1928 Became Griffin and Tatlock Ltd
Sources of Information
- The Times July 9, 1984
- Dating Scientific Instruments 
- The Times, Dec 12, 1910
- The Engineer 1926/11/19
- Biography of John Griffin, ODNB