Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Kyle (1837-1905) Civil Engineer.
1886 Presented a paper to the Inst of Civil Engineers on the Colombo harbour works
1906 Obituary 
JOHN KYLE, born in Glasgow on the 22nd Eovember, 1837, was educated at St. James’s School and Anderson’s College, and served a pupilage with Messrs. Bell and Miller of that city.
After completing his articles in 1857, he remained in their service as principal assistant until 1864, during which time he was engaged on the design and construction of several slip and graving docks on the Clyde, and other works.
From 1864 to 1868, he was engaged as Engineer to the Lundy Granite Company on the design and construction of new works on Lundy Island for the working and shipment of granite.
During the succeeding five years, he acted as Resident Engineer on the Albert Bridge works at Glasgow; superintended the erection of ironwork at the Waverley Bridge and new Waverley station, Edinburgh, and College Street station, Glasgow, for the North British Railway Company; and erected new gasworks at Dawsholm and Dalmarnock for the Glasgow Corporation.
He was also employed on the Ottawa bridge, Canada, for the late Mr. S. Keefer.
In 1873, on the recommendation of the late Sir John Coode, Consulting Engineer for the works, he received the appointment of Resident and Executive Engineer on the Colombo breakwater and harbour works. These works were carried to completion without the aid of a contractor, and were described in a communication presented by Mr. Kyle to the Institution in 1886, for which he was awarded a Telford premium.
In the following year, he was appointed Resident Engineer to the Cart Navigation Trust, Paisley, in which capacity he constructed the new harbour and carried out improvement works in the river from Paisley to the Clyde.
In 1888 he joined the staff of the Manchester Ship Canal, and was placed in charge of the Salford section, including the whole of the terminal docks at the Manchester end of the Canal, and later of the Barton section also, as District Engineer.
On the completion of these works in 1893, he went to Dover as Resident Engineer on the new Prince of Wales’ Pier, under Messrs. Coode, Son and Matthews, Consulting Engineers. He retained this position until 1903, after which he lived practically in retirement until his death, which took place, after a short illness, on the 24th June, 1905, in his sixty-eighth year.
Mr. Kyle was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 6th May, 1873, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 7th April, 1876.