Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,279 pages of information and 230,174 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Maurice Ellison (1884-1933)
1933 Obituary 
Major JOHN MAURICE ELLISON was born at Cockermouth in 1884 and served a five years' apprenticeship from 1903 to 1908 with Messrs. Ross and Duncan, of Govan.
He then entered the shipbuilding works of Messrs. R. Williamson and Son, Workington, with whom he remained until 1914.
At the time of the outbreak of the War, Major Ellison held a commission in the Royal Field Artillery Territorial Force. He served in France, Egypt, and later in Gallipoli, where he was wounded. He was then attached to the Controller-General's department of the Admiralty as an inspector of auxiliary craft.
After the Armistice he was loaned by the War Office to the Allied Railway Mission to Poland as technical waterway expert.
In 1920 he was appointed port engineer to the United States Shipping Board for vessels owned by the Board at Danzig, Bremen, Hamburg and Copenhagen.
Later he became an inspector for the Egyptian Government of rolling stock in France and Germany.
In 1927 Major Ellison commenced practice as a consulting naval architect.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1918 and was transferred to Membership in 1922. He was also a member of the Institute of Naval Architects.
His death occurred on 7th May 1933.