Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,450 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir John McLaren (1850-1920) of J. and H. McLaren
1921 Obituary 
Sir JOHN MCLAREN, K.B.E., was born at Hylton Castle, near Sunderland, on 1st April 1850.
He was educated privately, and in 1866 was apprenticed to Messrs. Black, Hawthorn and Co., Gateshead, makers of locomotives, mining and marine machinery.
On the completion of his time he became manager of the Ravensthorpe Engineering Co., of Mirfield, Yorks, and in 1876, in partnership with his brother Henry, he founded the firm of J. and H. McLaren, Midland Engine Works, Leeds, of which he was the Chairman at the time of his death.
He became a prominent member of the Engineering Employers' Federation, and at one time was Chairman of the Agricultural Engineers' Association. He served on the Royal Commission for the International Exhibitions at Brussels, Turin, and Rome, and was President of the Leeds Chamber of Commerce in 1918-19.
Soon after the outbreak of the War he became Chairman of the Board of Management of the first National Ordnance Factories, which were started in Leeds before the foundation of the Ministry of Munitions. For his services in connexion with this work he was created a Knight of the Order of the British Empire in 1919. He was also a Justice of the Peace.
His death took place in Leeds on 12th October 1920, at the age of seventy.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1903.