Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Moores (1877-1946)
1946 Obituary 
JOHN MOORES was born in 1877 and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Wood Brothers, engineers and millwrights, of Sowerby Bridge, from 1892 to 1898. After acting as assistant at trials of torpedo boat destroyers and later as charge-hand for Messrs. Laird Brothers, shipbuilders and engineers, of Birkenhead for two years, he joined the Leyland Steamship Company as marine engineer, and remained in the firm's service until 1907.
During this period he obtained his Board of Trade First-Class Engineer's Certificate. His next appointment was as engineer surveyor to the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Ltd., at Manchester. This position he retained until 1920, when he received an appointment as manager of the National Gas and Oil Engine Company's works, at Lille. On the closing down of the works eight years later he was appointed assistant engineer at the firm's head office in Ashton-under-Lyne, where he remained until his death, which occurred in his sixty-eighth year on 27th January 1946.
Mr. Moores was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1908 and was transferred to Membership in 1929.