Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Philip Cortlandt Anderson

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John Philip Cortlandt Anderson (1831-1893)


1894 Obituary [1]

JOHN PHILIP CORTLANDT ANDERSON, son of the late Major Philip Cortlandt Anderson, of the 64th Bengal Infantry, was born in India on the 24th of June, 1831.

His career as an engineer commenced in December, 1850, when he entered the service of the Public Works Department of the Government of India.

For seven years he acted as personal assistant to Lieutenant (now General Sir) Alexander Taylor, R.E., Superintendent of the military road then under construction from Lahore to Peshawar, of whose office Mr. Anderson had charge.

In September, 1857, he was sent on special duty to Jalandhar and Umballa, to audit some official accounts which had fallen into arrears and confusion.

Promoted to Fourth Grade Executive Engineer in 1858, Mr. Anderson was in the following August placed in charge of No. 8 Division of the Grand Trunk Road, which appointment he held until January, 1870. During that time he constructed the metalled and bridged road between Lahore and Ferozpur, some 45 miles in length - a work which involved the contraction to about 2 miles of the width of the Sutlej river bed at the latter place by means of spurs and embankments; built a bridge of three arches, each of 40 feet span, on well-foundations over the West Beyne Nullah river; and repaired the well-foundations and renewed the superstructure of four of the seven arches, each of 30 feet span, over the Budha Sutlej river.

Every year he renewed from 40 to 60 miles of road and erected several bungalows on the Grand Trunk Road. The bulk of the plant used in constructing the bridge of boats over the Bias river was also made up by him. All these works were projected, designed and estimated for by him, and were executed under his supervision.

Mr. Anderson was next placed in charge, in 1870, of the Umballa Division, which post he held until his retirement from the Department in 1879. His principal occupation during that period was the design and construction of military barracks. He was also in charge for a time of tho waterworks at Simla and Lahore. His steady and untiring application to his duties won him on more than one occasion the thanks of the Government of India. At the time of his retirement he had risen through the various grades to the rank of Superintending Engineer.

On leaving India Mr. Anderson ceased to practise as an engineer and spent the remainder of his life in retirement in England. His death, which was very sudden, occurred on the 14th of August, 1893. On the morning of that day he started, apparently in good health, to bathe at Woolacombe Sands, near Ilfracombe. On entering the water he fell forward helpless; his fellow-bathers hastened to his assistance, but before he could be brought to dry ground life was extinct. His medical adviser certified that death was due to heart disease.

Mr. Anderson was shrewd, hard-working and energetic, a skilled accountant and a good man of business.

He was elected an -4ssociate of the Institution on the 6th of December, 1870, and was transferred to the class of Member on the 4th of November, 1879.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information