Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1922 Obituary 
JOHN SCARISBRICK WALKER was born at Wigan in 1842, and was the founder and senior partner of the present firm of Walker Brothers (Wigan), Ltd.
After serving an apprenticeship with the Haigh Foundry Co., he commenced business in 1868, and was later joined by his two brothers. The works were at first in Queen Street, Wigan, but were removed to the Pagefield Works in 1874, and the firm was converted into a private company in 1903.
From the commencement of his professional career Mr. Walker displayed great initiative in perfecting colliery machinery, particularly in connexion with ventilating and air-compressing plant.
During the construction of the Severn Tunnel he was called in to advise on the means of quick removal of the gases caused by dynamite explosions in the Tunnel, and installed a plant which worked so successfully that he was entrusted with the manufacture of the permanent ventilating plant which is still working, though shortly to be replaced by one of greater capacity.
Owing to ill-health, he retired from active work in 1908.
His death took place on 1st February 1922, at the age of eighty.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1875.