Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,908 pages of information and 230,121 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Blackwall Iron Works, Russell Street, Blackwall
of 22, Billiter Street, London, E.C.3. Marine Engineers and Ship Repairers and Dry Docks Proprietors
Established about 1840 when John Stewart purchased small premises in Russell Street, Blackwall, in partnership with Mr. Chicken, who soon retired. Business increased so rapidly that Stewart then purchased a site on the Isle of Dogs, Poplar, with a river frontage of over 400 feet; this eventually became the Blackwall Iron Works.
The business built large numbers of tug boats, as well as undertaking other engineering work including engines fitted to many steamers, including the "Helen," the "North Heath," and the " Lady Stirling."
Also supplied machinery for paddle and screw steamers to the Dover, Ramsgate, and Bluff Harbour Boards, the Bhownugger Ferry in India, the Great Eastern Railway, the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., the London and India Docks, Sir Donald Currie and Co., the Glen Line, the Pacific Steam Navigation Co., the British India Steam Navigation Co., the Board of Trade, the Thames Conservancy, the Trinity House, the Khedive of Egypt, the Great Yarmouth Tug Co., and to many other companies and individual owners.
1870s Stewart and Nicholson patentees and engineers.
1890 Limited company
1912 Incorporated as John Stewart & Son (1912) Ltd
1922 Ship repairs, engineering, iron and brass founders, coppersmiths and cast-iron propeller makers.