Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John William Dean

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John William Dean (1844-1896)

1896 Obituary [1]

JOHN WILLIAM DEAN died on February 25, 1896. Born on February 9, 1844, he was trained as a civil engineer as a pupil of the late Henry Robertson, having served his time during the construction of the Central Wales Railway.

He subsequently became engaged in railway contracting, and became a partner with the late George Meakin, and afterwards with his sons George and John Meakin. Among the works carried out by the firm of Meakin & Dean were the following:— Doubling the London and North-Western Railway main line at Watford, including the new tunnel; making the new tunnel through Primrose Hill for the London and North-Western Railway main line; making tunnel through Primrose Hill (Belsize) for the Midland Railway; extending the London and North-Western Railway to Northampton, including the deep cutting at Roade; the Bala and Festiniog Railway; Alnwick and Cornhill Branch of the North-Eastern Railway; Wirral Railway; and portions of the Wrexham Mole and Connahs Quay Railway; and also work for the Rhymney and Great Western Railways.

Mr. Dean was managing director of the Minera Lime Company, Limited; chairman and managing director of the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company, Limited; and chairman of the Brymbo Steel Company, Limited. He was also a director of the Vale of Llangollen Railway Company. He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1895.

See Also


Sources of Information