Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,432 pages of information and 233,521 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Victoria Works, Charlton, Kent, Electrical engineers and manufacturers, telegraph engineers, also makers of Cable making and wire rope machinery.
London Office: 14 Union Court Broad Street, London, EC.
Later of Colombia House, Aldwych, London, WC2 (1937).
1882 Telegraph engineers and electricians
1893 Phillips died
1895 Catalogue of cable making and wire covering machinery.
1900 Mr. Johnson left the management of the business to others, especially the general managers, Messrs. J. Macgregor and F. S. Paterson, and the departmental managers.
1905 Public company. The company was registered on 17 June, to take over the business of electrical, telegraph and general engineers. . Walter Johnson retired. Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Paterson had been with the firm for 25 years and 15 years respectively, and became joint managing directors
1911 Issued catalogue on switch gear. 
1911 Electrical Exhibition. Lamps, cables, generators, projectors, switchgear etc. 
1914 Cable manufacturers, electrical engineers and contractors. 
1920 Issued catalogue on overhead electric power transmission lines and other electric equipment. 
1924 Appointed Mr. John Horne as their export sales engineer.
1925 Major G. G. Mallinson was appointed assistant branch engineer at the Newcastle office, succeeding Lieut-Colonel Pyne.
1929 Entered the business of distributing electricity - the first UK subsidiary was Midhurst and District Electricity Company
1931 Promoted electricity supply through subsidiary companies to Dunoon, Scotland, to Helen's Bay in Ireland and to Ringmer and district in Sussex
1933 Took over the responsibility of supply of electricity in the Westmorland district 
1934 Introduced Permel enamelled wire, Charlton electric storage water heater and Haefely condenser
1935 The investment in distribution networks in Ringmer and Dunoon was almost complete but the Westmorland district was much larger and work was ongoing
1937 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Maker of C. M. A. (Cable Makers' Association) Cables. Manufacturers of Electric Wires and Cables for all purposes. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand Nos. Cb.501 and Cb.400). 
1937 Navigation, cockpit and identification lamps and aircraft cables. 
1944 The company supplied specialist machinery to lay the Pluto pipeline across the English Channel and also supplied many miles of HAIS pipe for the project.
1948 The 3 distribution companies had been nationalised 
1949 The new switchgear factory at Kidsgrove was in full production; decided to enter the flameproof switchgear market by taking an interest in Belmos Co who were well established in the field; had developed a new sheathing system for electrical cables using aluminium
1961 Manufacturers of electric cable, cable accessories, switch gear, transformers, capacitors, overhead line materials and submarine cable-laying gear. Specialists in the transmission transformation and control of electricity. 
Max was a motorcycle produced between 1907 and 1909, by Johnson and Phillips, of Charlton in Kent.
This short-lived make first appeared as a 2hp motorcycle of the early scooter type. It had small-diameter wheels, no seat and the rider had to stand on footboards to control it.
It progressed to include a folding seat and was exhibited at the Stanley show, on the Louis Burn stand. The machine made little impact and soon disappeared.