Joseph Bond Morgan (1834-1900)
1900 Obituary 
JOSEPH BOND MORGAN, born on the 27th January, 1834, was educated at the Liverpool Collegiate Institution.
After serving an apprenticeship to Messrs. Brown, Hunter and Co., he started in business on his own account as a cotton broker in 1857.
In 1864 he joined partnership with Mr. William Dickinson, under the style of Morgan, Dickinson &. Co., but in 1867 the partnership was dissolved and the firm was thenceforth known as J. B. Morgan and Co. Mr. Morgan took a leading part in the establishment of the Clearing-House and Bank in connection with the Cotton Brokers’ Association; he was one of the first Directors of the Cotton Brokers’ Rank and in 1878 was elected President of the Cotton Brokers’ Association.
Mr. Morgan devoted great energy and perseverance to developing in this country the means of communication by telephone.
He was for some years Managing Director of the United Telephone Company, and in that capacity he did much to introduce the use of the telephone in Liverpool.
Mr. Morgan was elected a member of the City Council of Liverpool in 1881, and in 1890 he served the office of Mayor. In the same year he was appointed a Justice of the Peace, and, for services rendered to the Greek community in Liverpool, he received the gold cross of the Order of the Saviour. He also took an active part in the promotion of the volunteer movement in Liverpool.
Mr. Morgan died on the 20th April, 1900, at Downs Hill, Runfold, near Farnham, where he had been living in retirement for about two years.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 6th December, 1887.