Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Joseph Hutchinson Harrison (c1860-1948) M Inst C E, M I Mech E
1891 of Howson and Harrison
1892 Elected member of Cleveland Institute of Engineers
1949 Obituary 
"JOSEPH HUTCHINSON HARRISON was in practice as a consulting engineer in Middlesbrough for the very long period of fifty-six years and was well known in engineering circles and to ironmasters in the Cleveland district.
He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Bolckow Vaughan and Company, Ltd., of Middlesbrough from 1874 to 1880, and during that period attended classes for his technical instruction. After gaining experience for the next two years as assistant to the resident engineer at Stockton, who was engaged upon the conversion of a puddled iron works to a Bessemer steel rail plant, he returned to Messrs. Bolckow Vaughan and Company and was employed as a junior in the drawing office, where he was chiefly concerned with the redesigning and modernization of twelve blast furnaces for the firm.
In 1888 he was promoted to be head draughtsman, but in the following year he vacated this office and became assistant to the late Mr. Bernard Dawson, of Malvern Link and London, for whom he designed much iron and steel plant. It was in 1892 that he entered upon his long career as a consultant, specializing in the design and maintenance of iron and steel plant, and more particularly blast furnaces, the first furnace to be a commercial success in Australia being erected to his design. Moreover, he supervised the production of all the machinery necessary for this furnace and later became sole representative in this country for the Australian company. He was also responsible for the remodelling of a great deal of this type of plant both locally and throughout the country, and visited the Urals district to make reports upon blast furnaces fired by charcoal.
Other iron and steel plants he inspected in the course of his work were located in France, Belgium, Germany, and. Luxembourg. In spite of advancing years Mr. Harrison continued to be actively engaged in his practice up to the time of his death, which occurred on 6th April 1948, at the great age of eighty-eight. He was keenly interested in the technical training of engineers and spared no efforts to secure the establishment in Middlesbrough of what is now known as the Cleveland Scientific and Technical Institution. Mr. Harrison was a Member of the Institution for more than half a century, having been elected in 1891. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and a past-president of the Cleveland Institution of Engineers."