Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,388 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Joseph John Tylor (1851-1901)
1901 Died in France
1901 Obituary 
JOSEPH JOHN TYLOR, born in 1851, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Alfred Tylor, of Carshalton, Surrey.
After passing the matriculation examination at London University in June, 1868, he served an apprenticeship under Mr. J. C. Pearce at the Bowling Iron Works, from 1868 to 1871, the first six months in the drawing office, and for two years receiving wages as a workman in the shops.
He then entered in November, 1871, the Polytechnikum at Stuttgart, in the upper or technical division, and attended the whole course of lectures in chemistry and machine construction.
In the beginning of 1873 he was engaged by Messrs. A. Tylor and Co., colliery proprietors, as Engineer, and carried out, in conjunction with Mr. H. Kirkhouse, the sinking of their colliery in the Rhondda Fach; and between 1874 and 1877 he constructed several small waterworks, including that at Westgate-on-Sea.
Mr. Tylor was a member of the firm of J. Tylor and Sons, and acted as Consulting Engineer on its being turned into a public company; and he was also Consulting Engineer to Messrs. A. Tylor and Co., of Cardiff, colliery proprietors.
He died at his residence at Cap d’Ail, near Monaco, on the 5th April, 1901.
Mr. Tylor’s interests were not confined to Engineering. Among specialists in Egyptian archeology he had a well-merited reputation. His purpose in wintering in Egypt was to regain lost health, but he soon employed himself in excavation, and experience made him sensible of the extent, to which hieroglyphic inscriptions published even in costly and monumental works, are untrustworthy. Especially wall-painting inscriptions, fast perishing and only to be replaced by copies, have suffered from the imaginative methods of the artist restorer. Mr. Tylor adopted the method of completing by hand enlarged photographs, by filling in the minutest details, such as the texture of the material represented, and, lastly, comparing on the spot every line with the original. His series of the "Wall Drawings and Monuments of El Kab" (1895-1900) is said to present a near approach to absolute reproduction of these important documents of ancient history.
Mr. Tylor was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 1st May, 1877. As a Student, he had previously presented a Paper entitled "The Development of Collieries," for which he was awarded a Miller Prize.