Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Joseph Storrs Fry (1769–1835) of J. S. Fry and Sons
1769 Born son of Joseph Fry and his wife Anna
1795 he assumed control of his parents' chocolate business, then known as Anna Fry & Sons. He patented a method of grinding cocoa beans using a Watt steam engine resulting in factory techniques being introduced into the cocoa business, building a plant in Union Street, Bristol.
He moved to Grove House (now Riverwood House), Frenchay in 1800.
1803 His mother, Anna Fry, died and Joseph Storrs Fry partnered with a Dr Hunt and renamed the business Fry & Hunt.
1822 Dr Hunt retired and Joseph Storrs Fry took his sons on as partners renaming the firm J. S. Fry and Sons under which name it became the largest commercial producer of chocolate in Britain. The three sons were -
1835 Joseph Storrs Fry died; his sons took full control of the firm, ultimately passing to his grandson Joseph Storrs Fry II (1826-1913).
He was buried behind the Frenchay Quaker Meeting House along with his wife and daughter Priscilla.