Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Knockdhu Distillery

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Knockdhu Distillery

1893 The company was established by John Morrison.

John Morrison had purchased the Knock estate from the Duke of Fife and shortly afterwards discovered several springs of fine water rising on the southern slopes of the Knock Hill. Morrison was so taken by the quality of the water that he sent samples away for analysis.

Within a month, negotiations began, resulting in the construction of the Knockdhu Distillery at the base of the Knock Hill. The site was also chosen for its proximity to the Knock Station on the Banff branch line of the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) between Aberdeen and Elgin. Not only was the new location convenient to the railway but it was also within a few miles of a district noted both for its barley and inexhaustible source of excellent peat, both essential ingredients in fine malt whiskies.

1893 Gordon and Macbey, of Elgin, were appointed architects and the foundations were laid in May 1893. The distillery was constructed using grey granite of local origin. Power was supplied by a steam engine of 16 horse power and, when in full production, the two pot stills could turn out 2,500 gallons of spirit per week.

Knockdhu is currently bottled under the Gaelic name anCnoc meaning "the hill".

The Distillery is owned by Inver House Distillers

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information