1824 Construction began of the first iron bridges to be built in England. It spanned the River Plym at Laira, east of Plymouth. It was planned by James M. Rendal, who was one of the first to foresee the possibility of using iron instead of stone in such structures. The bridge was 500 ft in length, composed of 5 elliptical arches
1827 The bridge was opened by the Duchess of Clarence
Although bridging the Tamar was also proposed by Rendal it was not implemented
The bridge opened in 1887 to carry the London and South Western Railway branch to Turnchapel over the River Plym in Devon. Later the Great Western Railway also had running powers over the bridge providing access to their Yealmpton branch at Plymstock.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1927